Job Title: Account Executive
Reporting to: Senior Account Executive or Account Manager
PLMR is a successful, fast-growing communications agency with a dynamic, vibrant team that works across a number of high profile clients to deliver public affairs, public relations and digital solutions for its clients.
As an Account Executive, you will be a key member of the PLMR team providing high quality servicing to all our clients. You will have a keen interest in public relations (PR), in how messages are best shaped and communicated across both old and new media. You will also be interested in public affairs (PA) with a good understanding of the UK political landscape.
In this role you will be supporting a team that specialises in health and social care and education, amongst other sectors, with a particular focus on PR as well as crisis communications and public affairs. The role will include carrying out research for existing clients and for new business pitches, drafting press releases, monitoring relevant media, liaising with the media on behalf of clients, attending client meetings, lobbying key decision – makers, understanding government policy, and contributing ideas to enable PLMR to meet and beat client expectations at every level.
You will have some demonstrable prior experience of working in either a PR or communications focussed role.
You will be fluent in the use of digital communications channels, and know how to use social media and blogging effectively to further clients’ strategic communications aims.
You will have great written and verbal communication skills, excellent research skills, be highly motivated and able to work using your own initiative. You will also have an interest in developing your own networks within both political and media circles.
• liaise with clients at a junior level in a confident manner and build good working relationships
• accurately monitoring the media, including newspapers, magazines, journals, broadcasts, newswires, social media channels and blogs, for timely opportunities for clients
• collating, analysing and evaluating media coverage
• preparing regular client reports and attending client meetings
• drafting newsletters, briefings, campaign material, social media posts, blogs and press releases
• researching, writing and distributing press releases and social media posts to targeted media
• working as part of an account team to develop client proposals and implement the PR activity – ensuring we are always ‘adding value’ to our clients
• providing regular timely updates on client issues to senior colleagues
• assisting with event management, including press conferences, digital promotion and physical promotional events
• attending and promoting client events to the media
• responding to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice
• researching, forecasting and evaluating the effects of public policy on an organisation, using public sources, political intelligence and personal contacts – developing an expertise in client sectors and related policy fields
• establishing and maintaining two-way communication with relevant official bodies: with politicians, civil servants, and/or staff in local authorities and regulatory bodies to brief them on clients’ work and concerns
• using social media and digital channels to manage clients’ key messaging and enhance the reputation of PLMR and its clients
• providing regular copy for the PLMR website – blogging, case studies, features, comment
• proof read all written material
• promoting a positive, professional image of PLMR as a market leader to external audiences through networking and representing the company at events and online
• providing updates on new business leads regularly to other senior colleagues – e.g. written notes from events or seminars, follow up emails to contacts made, pointing out online networking opportunities
• relationship building and networking with colleagues, clients and the media
• assisting senior colleagues with drafting new business proposals of the highest standard to win new business
• actively participate in meetings, helping in the preparing for the meeting and in presenting elements as directed
• completing accurate daily timesheets on Harvest
• providing information for invoicing and cost recharging to the finance department in a timely manner as requested
• developing a positive professional relationship with PLMR colleagues, and contributing to a thriving day to day working environment
• meeting internal deadlines – being organised and punctual
• developing a personal professional reputation as a reliable, competent consultant
• maintaining a strong interest in current affairs
• acquiring new communications and public affairs skills and learn about parliamentary, regulatory and media environments
• developing personal expertise in digital communications channels
• meeting personal development objectives set by line manager
Skills / attributes required
• educated to degree-level or able to demonstrate appropriate work experience
• excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to conceptualise, analyse and write persuasive arguments
• highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative
• a can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results
• experience in executing messaging on social media and other digital channels to support strategic communications goals
• flexibility – capable of juggling more than one task/client at the time and prioritising work load accordingly
Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.