PLMR’s Kevin Craig answers five questions for the Conference Season
Featured in the September issue of Public Affairs News PLMR's MD Kevin Craig gives his verdict on what to expect from this year's conferences
Read again here or on the Public Affairs News website.
Public Affairs Newsasked the following five questions:
1) What will you be watching at the Lib Dem conference?
Tim Farron’s positioning – following a rapturous response at Spring Conference, will the party president continue to distance himself from the leadership and build his own support base at the grassroots?
2) What will you be watching at the Labour conference?
After an epic build-up, members are looking forward to hearing what ‘Refounding Labour’ means – and hopefully getting some clarity on the leadership’s priorities.
3) What will you be watching at the Conservative conference?
Brand Cameron still reigns supreme but a little touch-up would be nice – watch out for a surprise speaker to energise the grassroots and capture the headlines – think what Bill Clinton did for Tony Blair at the 2006 Labour Conference.
4) Compared to, say, five years ago, how has what your agency does for clients at conference changed?
Our reach is much more extensive, given we’ve grown in five years from two to 17 people and we’re at all four main conferences, including the SNP. We’re doing more but ‘fronting’ less ourselves.
5) What is your favourite city on this year’s conference circuit, and why?
Liverpool – it’s a great venue, but watch out for the docks. PLMR saw Lord Adonis nearly get run over by an amphibious tour bus at last year’s Liberal Democrat conference.