Job Title: Public Affairs and Public Relations Intern
Reporting to: Senior Account Executive / Account Manager
Term: 3 month fixed term contract
Salary: London Living Wage
Job purpose and requirements
PLMR is pleased to offer market-leading opportunities for recent graduates within a multi-award winning, UK Top 100 and World 250 communications consultancy. If you are a news junkie with proven interest in and knowledge of UK politics, understand the power of digital comms and campaigning, and want to make your mark on the political and media landscape, we encourage you to apply.
PLMR is a leading, fast-growing communications agency right in the heart of Westminster. We pride ourselves on our dynamic, vibrant team, who deliver outstanding results for clients every day. We work across a range of core sectors, including education, health and social care, tech, housing, energy, and transport to deliver public affairs, public relations and digital programmes that play a central role in helping our clients achieve their diverse objectives.
As a Public Affairs and Public Relations Intern, you will assist the PLMR team in providing high quality services to our clients. You will have a keen interest in public affairs (PA) and in the UK political landscape as well as public relations (PR) – how messages are best shaped and communicated across both old and new media. In this role you will gain experience of – and exposure to – all the main disciplines of consultancy life.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be well motivated and able to work under pressure using your own initiative. You will be able to conceptualise, analyse and write persuasive arguments. You will have a can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results. You will also have an interest in developing your own networks within both political and media circles.
You will engage in a variety of tasks to support the PLMR team which may include some or all of the following:
- Drafting press releases for PLMR clients
- ‘Selling in’ press releases to journalists
- Compiling media lists in support of a press release mailout
- Producing policy briefings for PLMR clients
- Liaising with the office of an MPs or Ministers, and drafting letters if required
- Contributing to the drafting of public affairs and/ or media relations strategies
- Involvement in PLMR new business activities
- Monitoring political events of relevance for our clients
- Contributing to meeting preparation in support of either the senior PLMR team or a PLMR client
- Working as part of an account team to develop client proposals and implement the PR activity – ensuring we are always ‘adding value’ to our clients
- Assisting with adhoc event management, including press conferences and promotional events
- Responding to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice
- Providing colleagues with general administrative support as required
- Developing a positive professional relationship with PLMR colleagues, and contributing to a thriving day to day working environment
- Producing regular task lists and keeping up to date timesheets
- Meeting internal deadlines and delivering at pace – being organised and punctual
To apply, please email your CV and Cover Letter telling us how your experience and ambitions match this role to Magda Lobodziec at firstname.lastname@example.org.