Job Title: Intern – Public Affairs
Reporting to: Senior Account Executive
Term: 3 month fixed term contract
Salary: London Living Wage
Job purpose and requirements:
PLMR is pleased to offer market-leading opportunities for recent graduates within a multi-award winning, UK Top 100 and World 250 communications consultancy. If you are a news junkie with proven interest in and knowledge of UK politics, understand the power of digital comms and campaigning, and want to make your mark on the political and media landscape, we encourage you to apply.
PLMR is a leading, fast-growing communications agency right in the heart of Westminster. We pride ourselves on our dynamic, vibrant team, who deliver outstanding results for clients every day. We work across a range of core sectors, including education, health and social care, tech, housing, energy, and transport to deliver public affairs, public relations and digital programmes that play a central role in helping our clients achieve their diverse objectives.
As a Public Affairs Intern you will assist the PLMR team in providing high quality servicing to all our clients. You will have a keen interest in public affairs (PA) and in the UK political landscape as well as public relations (PR) – how messages are best shaped and communicated across both old and new media. In this role you will gain experience of – and exposure to – all the main disciplines of consultancy life.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be well motivated and able to work under pressure using your own initiative. You will be able to conceptualise, analyse and write persuasive arguments. You will have a can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results. You will also be active in the social media networking sphere and have an interest in developing your own networks within both political and media circles.
You will engage in a variety of tasks to support the PLMR team which may include some or all of the following:
- Drafting press releases or a set of press releases for a PLMR client
- ‘Selling in’ press releases to journalists
- Compiling media lists in support of a press release mailout
- Producing policy briefings for PLMR clients
- Liaising with the office of an MPs or Ministers, and drafting letters if required
- Contributing to the drafting of public affairs and/ or media relations strategies
- Sitting in on an internal PLMR account meetings
- Preparing “Live Actions Updates”
- Involvement in PLMR New Business activities
- Monitoring political events of relevance to PLMR clients and contributing to the work of PLMR’s monitoring team
- Contributing to meeting preparation in support of either the senior PLMR team or a PLMR client
- Producing regular task lists and keeping up to date timesheets
- Dealing with telephone calls that come into the PLMR office
- Working as part of an account team to develop client proposals and implement the PR activity – ensuring we are always ‘adding value’ to our clients
- Assisting with event management, including press conferences and promotional events
- Responding to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice
- Providing colleagues with general administrative support as required
- Developing a positive professional relationship with PLMR colleagues, and contributing to a thriving day to day working environment
- Meeting internal deadlines – being organised and punctual
Please note the role may vary slightly depending on which team/client accounts you will be working on and the needs of the business.
At PLMR we are committed to reflecting and representing the diversity of the UK and to equal opportunities in employment. The policies and practices of the agency aim to promote an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity and inclusion of all people. At the heart of our policy, we seek to treat people fairly and with dignity and respect. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from people with a diverse variety of backgrounds; age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application process, please let us know.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org