Job Title: Account Manager
Reporting to: Senior Account Manager / Account Director
Salary range: £29,000 – £37,000 per annum
Job reference: 74262
PLMR is a successful, fast-growing communications agency with a dynamic, vibrant team that works across a number of high-profile clients to deliver public affairs, public relations and digital solutions for its clients.
As an Account Manager you will be a central member of the PLMR team providing high quality servicing to all our clients. You will have at least three years’ experience in dealing with local, national and digital media as a consultant providing public relations support and advice, including crisis communications, and public affairs, and having worked for a diverse range of clients you will have a proven aptitude for consultancy and management. In this role you will progress your consultancy skills; overseeing the day to day management of client accounts and maintaining a positive client relationship, spotting policy trends and identifying issues which might impact on client activity, actively developing new business ideas and initiatives, including winning new business, alongside the senior management team. You will manage both junior and senior colleagues to ensure PLMR meet and beat client expectations at every level.
- Educated to degree standard or with at least three years’ relevant work experience.
- An expert understanding of the education sector and awareness of education trends, particularly in reference to schools, universities, wider education organisations and education technology providers.
- Knowledge of local and international education markets is also required, specifically for the UK, US, Australia and UAE, but also other jurisdictions.
Line Management Experience
- Management experience of at least two junior colleagues
- Effectively managing and delegating tasks to junior colleagues and assisting and motivating them to deliver on these
- Manage live tasks and ensure delivery on deadline and to PLMR standards, anticipating client demands to ensure that PLMR is always ‘adding value’ to our clients
- Be able to respond to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice and deliver media statements in line with deadlines
- Proven ability to deliver on commitments, plan workloads, identify issues and find solutions
- Demonstrable experience developing excellent client relationships
- A solid understanding of what is happening on accounts at all times including what needs to be delivered, who needs to be contacted and what is coming up
- Reporting to the Account Director, with an awareness of service delivery for each client, ensuring accounts are run efficiently and to budget
- Demonstrable experience simultaneously leading multiple client accounts and acting as a trusted point of contact for clients
Public Relations, Public Affairs and Digital Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Very strong writing experience in a range of styles including: press releases, thought-leadership articles, award entries, marketing case studies and social media copy
- The ability to write persuasively and convey client messages accurately for different media and audiences
- Experience in developing strategies to support clients’ objectives with the ability to draw upon traditional PR, public affairs, media buying and digital marketing
- Ability to identify proactive press opportunities and execute outstanding PR campaigns to win international, national, regional and trade media
- Fluent in the use of digital communications channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, and consider digital communications in all your actions
- Demonstrable experience in advising clients as to why digital communications are vital to their strategy – from organic social media content to PPC campaigns
- Well-versed in event management and supporting clients with media engagement both pre and post-event
- Respond appropriately to crisis management issues, including the ability to respond to breaking stories 24/7, including over weekends and on public holidays
- Demonstrable experience of successfully mitigating negative news to protect the reputation of clients
- Regularly monitoring the media, including newspapers, magazines, journals, broadcasts, newswires, social media and blogs, for timely opportunities for clients
- Experience in proactive media engagement including selling in press releases and stories and securing coverage to target media
- Experience of managing public affairs and public relations projects, from a relevant background such as in-house corporate team or specialist/consultancy/regulatory body
Networking and New Business
- Proactive attitude to attending events, seminars, and conferences, and setting up regular meetings with contacts to promote a positive, professional image of Mango/PLMR as a market leader and obvious point of call for our services
- Experience creating and delivering winning proposals for new business pitches
- A can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results
- Be well organised, highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative
- Experience in supporting recruitment processes and staff retention – providing feedback on colleagues, appraising line reports, identifying and interviewing potential candidates for new positions
- Experience in promoting your personal profile within the business as well as promoting the organisation externally
- An established network within the education sector, including national and education trade press
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise, motivate and lead colleagues
Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.