With almost 1 in 4 children and young people showing evidence of mental ill health and 50% of all mental health problems manifesting themselves by the age of 14, Mindfulness in Schools Project (MiSP) is dedicated to making a genuine, positive difference to the mental health and wellbeing of a generation of children now and in the future.
Established by teachers for teachers, the charity aims to improve the lives of children by providing them with high-quality classroom-based mindfulness training. MiSP trains teachers to introduce young people to secular mindfulness and provides a life skill that both teachers and children can come back to time after time.
Their ’A Million Minds Matter’ appeal highlights the life changing benefits of the programmes they supply to children and to those who care for them, and aims to raise funds to reach more schools to ensure that no children are excluded from MiSP’s evidence-based programmes.
The charity is also hosting a star-studded day for teachers, school leaders, educators and parents to broaden their knowledge of mindfulness and inspire them to bring evidence-based mindfulness curricula into school communities. The event, which takes place on 26 April in London, brings famous names from the worlds of TV, film, radio and politics together with teachers and mental health campaigners to raise awareness of mindfulness practice and to raise funds for the charity’s appeal.
The conference brings together a panel of expert speakers, headlined by Ruby Wax, sharing inspirational testimonies and performances which demonstrate the power of mindfulness as an effective tool for 21st century living. Speakers include:
- Ruby Wax – comedian, author and presenter,
- Jonny Benjamin – award-winning mental health campaigner, film producer, public speaker, writer and vlogger
- Caroline Lucas – MP, Green Party
- Jerome Flynn – Soldier Soldier and Game of Thrones actor
- Sir Steve Lancashire, founder and CEO of REAch2
- Cel Spellman – actor and radio presenter
- Vidyamala Burch – co-founder of Breathworks, a mindfulness charity
- Jason Steele – founder and CEO of non-profit Raise the Youth
- Parham Vasaiely – UN-advisor, engineer and mindfulness pioneer in the STEM industry
- Voices of experience – first-hand accounts from teachers and children